Biju Patnaik Airport commissions solar plant of its operational use

The Biju Patnaik International Airport (BPIA) in Bhubaneswar announced that it has shifted to renewable energy sources for its energy consumption by setting up a 4 MWp ground mounted solar power plant in its operational area.BPIA generates approximately 60 per cent of the airport’s electricity needs from onsite solar generation and the remaining 40 per cent through other green sources such as hydro energy.The solar plant spans across 13.28 acres and has a project cost of Rs 187.5 million.

Through different programmes, the airport is committed to consistently lowering energy use and carbon footprint. Since April 2023, BPIA has operated fully on green energy, allowing a highly efficient and low-carbon future for aviation.

In June 2022, Delhi’s Indira Gandhi International Airport (IGIA) signed a long-term power purchase agreement with a Himachal Pradesh-based hydropower producing company for the supply of hydroelectricity till 2036. This move will help in reducing 0.2 million tonnes of carbon dioxide emissions per year.