Delhi’s IGI airport to run on hydro and solar power

Delhi’s Indira Gandhi International Airport (IGIA) has signed a long-term power purchase agreement with a Himachal Pradesh-based hydropower producing company for the supply of hydroelectricity till 2036. With this development, IGIA has become the first airport in India to run entirely on hydro and solar power. This move will help in reducing 0.2 million tonnes of carbon dioxide emissions per year. Already, approximately 6 per cent of the airport’s electricity needs are met using onsite solar power plants located on the airside and on the roofs of the cargo terminals of IGIA. From June 1, 2022, the remaining 94 per cent of the total demand is now being planned to be met through renewable energy from the hydropower plant.

Delhi International Airport Limited (DIAL) aims to turn IGIA into a net zero carbon emission airport by 2030, way ahead of the global target of 2050. To achieve this, DIAL has recently adopted a Green Transportation Programme. 

GET ACCESS TO OUR ARTICLES

Enter your email address