The Global Wind Energy Council (GWEC) and MEC Intelligence (MEC+) have launched “Renewing wind growth to power the energy transition: India Wind Energy Market Outlook 2026”. This third annual edition looking at the wind energy outlook in India highlights wind energy’s critical link to India’s green energy transition. The outlook suggests that the country can add another 23.7 GW of capacity within the next five years provided necessary enabling policies, facilitative instruments, and the right institutional interventions are put in place.
There is a huge untapped opportunity in the Indian market, with the outlook providing insight into how the country can unlock the full potential of wind resources with five broad recommendations:
- Strengthen consensus and coordination between central and state governments.
- Promote technology exchange and alignment to the global wind supply chain
- Exploit repowering opportunities that offer an efficient pathway for India to maximize productivity and socioeconomic benefits from sites already designated for onshore wind power production
- Address the legacy challenges which have disrupted the development of wind energy
- Finalise and implement offshore wind development roadmaps
Download the report here