African Development bank approves $21.7 million for solar pumps in Sudan

The African Development Bank has approved a $21.78 million grant for the Sudaese government to promote the adoption of solar-powered irrigation pumps in the country. The grant will help install 1,170 solar pumps in the country’s West Kordofan and North Kordofan states. The funds will also be utilised for the setting up of maintenance and repair workshops for pumps and the supply of equipment for a pump testing laboratory to provide certification and training. The government, with bank support, will extend a grant covering 75 per cent of the installation costs to farmers, while the remaining 25 per cent will be paid by the farmers in instalments over three years.

GET ACCESS TO OUR ARTICLES

Enter your email address