Tanzania rolls out 150 MW solar tender

Tanzania Electric Supply Company Limited (Tanesco) has issued a request for qualification tender for the construction of large-scale solar PV projects with a combined capacity of 150 MW. The projects will be set up at Dodoma, Singida, Shinyanga, Mwanza, Simiyu and Iringa over the next two years. According to the tender details, the developers will be allowed to submit bids for projects between 20 MW and 50 MW in size, and will have to undertake feasibility studies. Moreover, successful bidders will set up projects in the finance-build-own-operate-transfer mode. Currently, around 57 per cent of Tanesco’s installed power generation capacity comes from 696.3 MW of thermal gas and diesel power plants, while the remaining 43 per cent is represented by 561.8 MW of hydropower. The company also operates 52.2 MW of off-grid diesel plants.

GET FREE ACCESS TO OUR ARTICLES

Enter your email address