The Department of Biotechnology (DBT) under India’s Ministry of Science and Technology, and the International Energy Agency (IEA) have signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) for a joint program under Mission Innovation, to advance clean energy transition in India. This will be accomplished by accelerating research, development, and demonstration (RD&D) of clean energy technologies in the country and supporting policies and programmes promoting clean energy.
Co-operation under this MoU will be coordinated by the Mission Innovation India unit within DBT, and for the IEA by its International Partnership and Initiatives unit (IPI).
The key focus areas of the MoU are:
- Identifying priority areas to fast-track energy innovation, investment opportunities and policy actions according to the goals of Mission Innovation.
- Identifying relevant sources of finance and developing methodology for mapping and estimating private sector investment in energy research.
- Promoting technology and policy research to advance adoption of clean energy technologies.
- Exchanging experiences and best practices related to mapping, tracking and estimating public funding.
- Encouraging and facilitating participation by the parties’ representatives in energy innovation and energy RD&D seminars, workshops and meetings.
- Publicising India’s good energy innovation and energy RD&D practices to other countries.
- Facilitating participation of Ministry of Science and Technology and other relevant Indian entities in IEA technology collaboration programs.