MHI Vestas Offshore Wind, a JV between Mitsubishi Heavy Industries and Vestas Wind Systems, has launched the V164-9.5 MW wind turbine with 80-metre blades. The turbine is built on the company’s V164 platform and its key features are as follows:
- It has a rated power of 9.5 MW, with an optimal rotor-to-generator ratio.
- One turbine can power 8,300 homes in the UK.
- Redesigned gearbox and cooling system upgrades from the existing V164-9.0 MW.
- Each blade weighs 35 tonnes.
- It has a swept area of 21,124 square metres.
- The nacelle is 20 metres long, 8 metres wide and 8 metres high. It weighs around 390 tonnes.
- It has a hub height of nearly 105 metres.
- It has a tip height of nearly 187 metres.